Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Faking It





I am going to let you in on a little secret.  I have not always been a very confident person.  It's something I have dealt with my whole life. My confidence level has gone through many phases over the years. Some good, some bad, some even worse.  I figured I would struggle with it from time to time, for the rest of my life and just deal with it. However, when I flipped my switch, that line of thinking had to go out the window, right along with the weight.



I would call it "My Fake It 'Til You Make it" phase. You may have heard the term before, it's a common catchphrase that means"that means to imitate confidence so that as the confidence produces success, it will generate real confidence".  Job seekers are advised to use this type of behavior, for lack of a better word.  I have been working hard to boost my own self-confidence and want to share my last experience with "faking it".

Pretend to be a super-hero


I started working out at a gym in September. As an outdoor exerciser, just the thought of walking in one had me uncomfortable.  I sat in the parking lot for a full ten minutes before I went in. I brought a lot of anxiety I wanted to get out, funny how just walking in was going to be hard for me.  I gave myself a pep talk, pushed my shoulders back, and held my head high as I walked through the door, looking like I belonged there. There was a bright spot, I did know someone, my son is my trainer.  The hour passed quickly as I focused on his face and what he was asking me to do.  I made it!  Now, I have to do it again in two days, and then over, and over, and over......  It has to get easier, right?






Each time I walked through those gym doors made it easier for the next time.  My plan of faking my confidence definitely paid off and within about 8 sessions I felt more relaxed and okay with being there.  By acting like I was comfortable in the gym, I became comfortable in the gym.  Crazy?  I think not.  Try it.


No comments: